my new build/ project.

sootysue

Sooty sue
First Name
susan
Many thanks Sue an jen said bless you an she sends you her love as well an now whats next on this build of this manger is there any animals at all as i know you said the figures are already painted an cant you repaint them in different colures ?
an yes the tower hopefully will be a spooky dio as its now dark at night as they usually are lol hope you will exsell on that one
chris jen
Hi Chris and jen. I will post pics how I'm going to do eding half bricks on walls near roof of manger.
I post pic of the figures manger and let you see what you think, but yes I could repaint them.
I did wonder about getting some modeling clay and make some figures but then I though no do trees..... Sue

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Coming along very nicely, Sue.
Might be too late, but here's a tip you might find useful.
Don't try and get the angle cuts where the stone meets the roof exact. Just get them near enough. Then do the roof tiles and finally use a strip of card or similar and glue this tight up to the roof angle. This will finish it off nicely and hide any 'Wonky' cuts you might end up with. I always do this to hide mine! It's quick and easy and saves time messing about trying to get things spot on when there is no need.

Ron

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Don't try and get the angle cuts where the stone meets the roof exact. Just get them near enough. Then do the roof tiles and finally use a strip of card or similar and glue this tight up to the roof angle. This will finish it off nicely and hide any 'Wonky' cuts you might end up with. I always do this to hide mine! It's quick and easy and saves time messing about trying to get things spot on when there is no need.

Ron
HI Ron now we know your master secrets lol
chris jen

sootysue

Sooty sue
First Name
susan

Ron
Hi Ron. I sorry I'm late replying back to you. Very handy tip , thanks Ron. I have got put a piece of cardboard around edges on the inside to reinforce the walls on the inside as they are wobbly before I do the roof tiles. Thank you Ron for handy tip and lucky I have not started the tiles yet.

sootysue

Sooty sue
First Name
susan
I used a template to get size of bricks needed for the side tops . Now put on front arch just now waiting for glue to dry although the glue dry's in 5 mins so i only get a few seconds to put bricks in correct-ish place, :cold-sweat:. IMG_5082.JPGIMG_5083.JPG

sootysue

Sooty sue
First Name
susan
Yep i think the figures could do with a repaint .
What do you think ? Any suggestions as to should i paint or leave as they are.?. :thinking:
If paint which paints do i use.?

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
AN are you gonna repaint the figures Sue ?
Yep i think the figures could do with a repaint .
What do you think ? Any suggestions as to should i paint or leave as they are.?. :thinking:
If paint which paints do i use.?
SUE in my opinion ask the figure painter like eg. Peter day or John (whotan )or any other figure painter as there is quite a few on here
chris jen

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Just post the question in the proper chat thread and anyone interested will pick up on it and post a reply. Looks real good so far Sue,
looking forward to see how the roof goes. Rick H.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
liking this and the figures do make it,
as for repaint,just try to match your color mix and test a bit,as where the chips are just paint in a little darker flesh tone,
may be a couple of coats to cover that dark under color,then just a lite sand to make smooth and even., ;)
do all your mising and testing till your happy,

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Good advice above. Classical paintings will be a great source of inspiration for paint colours in a subject like this.
If you use Vallejo paint Sue you will find it needs a little thinning to make it easier to use because it comes out of the pot quite thick and difficult to brush. Just use a drop or two of water and mix it in with an old brush. You will also need some sort of pallet to work from. I would suggest a small ceramic plate until we can get to the shops again, then look for a plastic watercolour pallet such as those found cheaply in shops like “the works”.
Looking forward to the next bit....
Tim

sootysue

Sooty sue
First Name
susan
Next bits added to the build , sandpaper for the floor and crushed bricks on the edging of the what will be the roof - i must say :thinking:it does look like a choc bar lol . I am not worried about it not being perfect as it handmade item and my first so it will work out in the end ;) :thumb2:

sootysue

Sooty sue
First Name
susan
Sue - If you feel up to re-painting the figures, I'd recommend Vallejo Model Colour paints, available rom Scale Model Shop. I'd have fun and go for some deeper, more intense colours. In paintings the Virgin is always depicted with a dark blue mantle:

View attachment 404471

Have fun!
Thanks Peter for your advice /hints much appreciated. Yes i will repaint the figures and the animals to i think peter. I will pop over to the Scale Model Shop and explore the colours. I am having fun with this model definitely yes.