not stew again.

D

Deleted member 7181

Well you certainly have what it takes to make another if you do sell.

If the time you've spent on it is worth the price offered then it's got to be worth considering, as long as you have the drive to do it all over again.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks Guys, but on reflection I have decided not to sell. I build for my enjoyment and don't want to go down the road of meeting deadlines or other peoples expectations. Hope I made the right call lol

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Understandable. Making the second one is more like work, not pleasure. I don't think "meeting deadlines or other peoples expectations" applies here though, if yopu've been offered payment for something you've already done. How many hours of work went into that base?
Pete

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Understandable. Making the second one is more like work, not pleasure. I don't think "meeting deadlines or other peoples expectations" applies here though, if yopu've been offered payment for something you've already done. How many hours of work went into that base?
Pete
Peter, hopefully there will be other opportunities. I started it in June and spend a few hours a day although not all on the base.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I was just wondering what £200 was when translated into an hourly rate.
Pete

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Just caught up after some absence...
Fantastic work on the base, house and lean to:thumb2::thumb2:.
Absolutely worth the £200, but good you keep it as a hobby otherwise it'll turn into work and might ruin all the fun.
Great looking kitchen too, looking forward to the figs to polulate the scene:smiling:.

D

Deleted member 6559

Keep it Scottie. Selling your work brings all sorts of anxieties about finish. Perfectionism can ruin the hobby.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Just caught up after some absence...
Fantastic work on the base, house and lean to:thumb2::thumb2:.
Absolutely worth the £200, but good you keep it as a hobby otherwise it'll turn into work and might ruin all the fun.
Great looking kitchen too, looking forward to the figs to polulate the scene:smiling:.
Fernando thanks very much mate and your right it is a lot of money but its all about keeping it fun.
Keep it Scottie. Selling your work brings all sorts of anxieties about finish. Perfectionism can ruin the hobby.
Peter, Thank you and wise words from someone who has done commissions.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Being asked to sell it alone is a statement of how good your work is, that definitely has to make you proud.
The others are quite right in their remarks about not selling and turning a hobby into a business.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Being asked to sell it alone is a statement of how good your work is, that definitely has to make you proud.
The others are quite right in their remarks about not selling and turning a hobby into a business.
John, It was nice to be asked. Another guy wanted the same thing but in 1/72 lol. As has been said this is for fun.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Well that’s certainly a mojo booster! Being offered a nice wedge for your hard work shows that your definitely doing something right:smiling4:

First Name
Jason
Hi Scottie
Not been around recently but this is superb...just catching up now!
Did you go to Huddersfield or was it Halifax show this year I thought I saw one of your masterpieces there.
Jason

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
It's an interesting point you raise Paul about making money out of model making. The problem I have is the on going cost of the hobby and my need and desire to build up tools and products needed. For example I have gone all out for a build next year with metal tracks, accessories and loads of AM stuff. I also want saws, files, paint holders, decent airbrush etc etc. The list appears endless. At the moment I can just about get away with it as I am earning but what happens when I am living off the state pension?? I certainly don't want to do commission builds as I enjoy the freedom of modeling when I want. However once the model is complete and been in a competition I shove it in a box never to be seen again. I am wondering weather to sell the model then or would I regret it further down the line if I wanted it back for some reason? I really am undecided on the whole thing.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I've sold a few on ebay, which to me is a whole lot better than sitting in a box in the attic. I didn't make anything like £200, but my models aren't a patch on yours Steve. Would you ever want a model back? Surely the fun is in making them, so if you ever wanted to make another dio with a base similar to this one, I bet you'd prefer to make a new one?
I agree with you about commission work. With my woodworking, I really enjoyed making things for myself and the family home, but when people started offering me money to make "one of those" for them, all the fun went out of it. (An exception was some filter baffles I used to make for a local factory - basically like a small pallet about a foot square. The fun part was that I was using scrap wood out of their skip, spending 30 minutes making each baffle, then selling it back to them for just over a tenner! This wasn't really woodwork though, just nailing bits together.)
Pete

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
YES IVE had people askin me to build them a ship model like what I build as each model takes yrs to build when I tell them that they soon lose intrest that's why ive never done it
chris