Revel 1/72 Lancaster

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date
First Name
Gary
The engines on the Bristol Beaufighter disassembled completely when I fitted them. Lots of filing and filling later and a repaint and they looked ok. Annoying its nonetheless part of the challenge I guess but like you Andy I despair at the Homer Simpson pictures for assembly on some kits. Try a ship and the "where does the part actually go" mystery takes on a whole new level.

This looks good though and a want to build a Lancaster as well.. get the favourites out the way first type approach. Cant wait for the paint

Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 5496

Very nice work Andy. Nice one to build.

When I retired from architecture set up another business video film making.
Invited to film in the cockpit when it flew over in our Jersey B of B week.

Cry my eyes out now. Said I was to busy :flushed: Can you believe that. What an idiot.

Laurie

• Wow
D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Andrew, Gary & Laurie.

I'll keep reading through the instructions until hopefully something makes sense and write myself a plan of action to follow. That should ease some of the confusion in my easily overloaded brain!

I may even try and find some pictures of the real thing as the ones on the box are too small and too few to help a great deal.

What a missed opportunity Laurie! I'd be kicking myself for a long time after that.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Andy, that sounds like a good plan....but if you start getting stuck, look for a good build blog on the net somewhere. Someone will have built this and written or filmed about it.....
another hint is to look at the instructions for the stage after the one you are working on, sometimes the part positions can be gleaned from the next illustration...

D

Deleted member 7181

Tim, I've managed to find two builds of this so far. Both of them got hacked off part way through and took a long break. Both had worse fit issues than me too. Compared to them I'm doing better than I thought :smiling5:

The main issues are centred around the turrets. I'm guessing they are part glazed part painted, but the instructions are very vague as to exactly which bit is which, and once fitted there are areas I won't be able to reach to paint, like the rear of them and "housings" that fit around them.

I'll get there, it just takes my brain longer to process that kind of thing than your average neurotypical Joe :upside:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Andy
post pictures of what you are struggling with. I have a book somewhere on RAF turrets, I therefore might be able to find what you are looking for tomorrow.....

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Keep going Andy, I'm of the persuasion that some instruction writers have a hate for all modellers.
Probably due to their parents refusing to let them have a kit when they were younger !

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andy
Looking very good. Neat and tidy and the fit doesn't seem to be giving any problems. I think that putting the bigger sticky out flatish bits at the front is a great idea although I'm not sure how that would work when the pilot needed to fly in reverse :tongue-out3:
Jim

HAWKERHUNTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Problem with a lot of these builds is that if you want parts to move, ie propellors, turrets etc then you have to fit them early in the build. That then creates a problem with the parts breaking as you handle the model through the prepping stages of the build. I just leave as much off as I can and then glue them in a fixed position for display purposes. Makes the build a lot easier to work on. With your Lanc see if the front and rear glass turrets can be left off and then just slot them in at the end. Same with the propellors. JMO.

D

Deleted member 7181

Yes, must make it difficult to reverse park.
Pete
It's not too bad actually Pete as there seems to be a guy sitting right at the back to guide them in. The things they did in the days before parking sensors....

Unfortunately Steve the turrets need to be fitted beforehand. Either that or I leave them off and paint the "housings" or "shrouds" that fit around them, and are body coloured, afterwards. I have come up with a bit of a plan though, and hopefully I'll get some pictures up when Imgur has stopped messing me about.

D

Deleted member 7181

After much head scratching about the turrets and other bits, I had an epiphany. I thought it was just gas but never mind.....

I mixed up a primer that was as near as I could get to the AK colour I've been using for the interior, and intend to spray the lower half with. That way I can pre-colour all of the fiddly bits and if any don't get caught with paint later on they won't be too noticeable.

Here's the primer next to the bomb bay in AK German Grey.

MMkPE5l.jpg

That allowed me to paint the little radar dish type thing and cover it in this part-glazed bulge ( a one piece transparency). The dish is all but invisible but at least when you look through the glazed portion the interior will be almost fuselage colour.

P5NyWoz.jpg

And the rear turret, painted as per the video I posted above. Not fantastic work but acceptable given the size of it and the pretty poor transparencies. I've also painted the shrouds that fit around it as one may be able to see the inside of them once fitted. Guns are a gun metal colour I mixed up from Mr Color Steel & semi gloss Black

7MtuOXu.jpg

5APAzs8.jpg

The other turrets are getting the same kind of treatment just in case I can't get to them once fitted. Yes I'm probably over thinking it, but that's the only way I know I'm afraid.

HAWKERHUNTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I have the Dambusters Lanc to complete so Im following this with interest. I started it a few years ago and made a bit of a mess with the fuzz seam and the project got put on hold. It's going to be resurrected as my next build. Good luck with this one. Im sure it will all come good in the end.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
the little radar dish type thing
That’s the antenna for the H2S navigation radar, if I’m not mistaken. It produced a picture of the ground below the plane, allowing the navigator to more easily work out where the plane was.

The paintwork is looking very good :smiling3:

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks chaps, getting there slowly but surely.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
That’s the antenna for the H2S navigation radar, if I’m not mistaken. It produced a picture of the ground below the plane, allowing the navigator to more easily work out where the plane was.

The paintwork is looking very good :smiling3:

Hi Jakko, can't claim to be an expert myself on this but have seen at least one other build blog that says exactly that.

Andrew

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Andy, really good build up of the rear turret. Airfix and Revell turrets are a real pain to make good. The Hasegawa turret is much better. Wish I had that Youtube video for reference when I did my Stirling turret. Here's a link to what I tried my best to do. Turret . I'm sure you may have seen it.

The rest of your build is getting the attention of assembly and painting skills that are increasingly getting better at every new build you attempt. Fantastic. :thumb2:

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 5496

Thanks chaps, getting there slowly but surely.
The best way Andy. I used to rush when I first started. Now I take time do a better job
& of all things revel in my patience which has been totally lacking for about 78 years of my life. ;)

Some where on here there is my Lancaster build now very vintage. Probably 15 years ago or more.

Great aircraft to build as it has so many features. Are you going to rig it ?

Laurie