Revel 1/72 Lancaster

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Great aircraft to build as it has so many features. Are you going to rig it ?

Laurie
I think so. Its not something I've done before as I can never find any suitable thread or whatever around the house, but if I'm going to be building more aircraft I need to start having a go.

It's another thing I'll have to look into though as the instructions just say "use thread" with no actual indication of where to and from!

D

Deleted member 5496

This may help a bit Andy. Not to clear I will take a few photos of my finished Lanc showing the rigging.

I use Crysta Line which can be found on Ebay. Comes form China so you will not get it soon I would have thought.

Also use knicker elastic they have changed the name https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=Strick+elastic.

Just found this in John's shop. https://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/products/accessories/auxiliaries/rigging.
I would go for this. Going to order some for my SaeKing

P8021219COCKPIT.jpgP8021219COCKPIT.jpgtail.jpg

Attachments

• turrett tail.jpg
    turrett tail.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 9

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Andy i use EZ Line for aerial cables. You can get it in different 'scales'. Have a search for it and see what you think

Reactions: JR

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Another vote for EZ line.....nice work on the Lanc by the way.....

D

Deleted member 7181

Brilliant pictures Laurie, thanks very much!.

I have seen EZ line and it looks the business, but couldn't decide on which size to get. I suppose at the price it won't break the bank to get both in black, unless you guys think I'd only ever use one?

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Tim, both sizes it is then.

Cheers Paul, I'm looking forward to getting a few days off soon so I can crack on with the painting. Work is mad busy right now so I've been doing loads of extra 12 hour shifts. I'm pooped but I just keep thinking about the money and the kits it will buy me :smiling5:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Nice helpful photos from Laurie, this is the type that surley is acceptable.

Nice work Andy, can see your planning is well thought out .

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Work is mad busy right now so I've been doing loads of extra 12 hour shifts. I'm pooped but I just keep thinking about the money and the kits it will buy me
I'm in the same situation myself, come payday, it's going to be really difficult not to buy anything...………..I don't need anything, will that stop me - no.

D

Deleted member 7181

Progress has been slow what with work and catching up on sleep, but I've been doing little bits here and there.

All of the turrets are now pre-painted. Thankfully the rear one can be fitted after painting which saves a bit of masking. Talking of masking, large canopies in 1/72 are a bit fiddly!

uLlpTQb.jpg

Not perfect but good enough for "freehand". And yes I know I've missed a bit. I wasn't happy with it so I redid that part after the pics.

I've also been having troubles with the undercarriage, which goes back to me making a poor job of fitting the nacelles and internals, parts of which support the main weight of the U/C. That, and the fact that I've not done one yet, made me decide to this display one as a flying piece, fully buttoned up.

So to that end, this happened.

o3WtZ5X.jpg

A piece of steel rod I had lying around, cut & bent to shape then epoxied in through the bomb bay and into the wing spar above. The bomb bay doors will cover the mess. I know the convention is to use clear acrylic rods, but I didn't have any so this will be fine. When mounted properly it will give the aircraft a slightly climbing/banking stance. Something like that shown below. You can also see the fitted turrets, and the rod should give me somewhere solid to hold it while painting.

LZNHPPB.jpg

Big couple of days coming up. Taking a 20 year old car for its MOT is always a bit nerve wracking, then on Friday (the 13th!!!) I'm back to see my consultant for (hopefully) a final diagnosis. If both of those go well I should get around to some final masking & tweaking, then primer, before getting back up for work at 4:30 on Sunday :unamused:

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Andy,
Nice work on the masking. I think the rod gives it a great stance.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Steel rod also looks quite good, if you ask me. I mounted a 747 model on a piece of stainless steel, and didn’t find it distracting at all.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Andy

The rod looks pretty good. Nice idea.

Andrew

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Andy, the flying mode is looking good even with the steel rod. Wise decision. Don'tcha luv masking canopies. :smiling2: ...especially turrets.

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks everyone. I spent some time searching the house and shed for something to use and came across this rod. I keep telling the wife that I never throw anything away as it might come in useful one day, and here we are.

I had a thought about partially hiding it with a tree, as though the aircraft was flying low and almost brushing the tops, but I guess that would be more appropriate for something other than a bomber!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
If you had built the Dam Busters version, it might just have been believable :smiling3: That or put a lot of holes in the model to show it has come under heavy fire …