Smythe Meister's Mk. IX. ICM 1/48

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That’s starting to look really quite fine now Andy. Glad you got the decals under control….

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Thats looking mighty fine andy , glad you persevered with it , its making me want to start a spit myself , cheers tony

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Well,Thank you ALL for your input :thumb2:,
HOWEVER ,do you remember how close it was to the finish line?:nerd:.....
.... Just the cockpit glass to put on after the final sealing Matt Varnish coat..... NOT A PROBLEM eh?!!:cool:....
Well,it seems it is to me.......
IMG20220724170558.jpg
NO F.....g way,what happened there?!!:loudly-crying::dizzy:.... All i did was apply Humbrol Matt rattle can varnish on top of a mix of Humbrol Green,and the Tamiya Grey! I`m putting it down to temperature!?:thinking: the initial paint has all been put down in my modelling room,that last Varnish was done outside... I didn`t think it should have made such a problem.... but maybe it did!!:rolling:
SO THEN,my thoughts on this,(Which happened on Saturday evening),were simply "FFS... it`s going into the bin" :tired:....
TBC

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
... Obviously when this first became apparent i was going to bin it..... proper Pee`d off i was:surprised:...
BUT,I decided to sleep on it ,(Not literally .... that would have just been silly-i`d have flattened it!!:tears-of-joy:).... So the decision was made....
... I go again.......,and try to improve the one i was doing;)....
This time i`m going to do the invasion stripes,and with the correct stripe on the fuselage by the tail plane,(I did the original attempt in white:dizzy:)...
So i started to recover my ruined build....
IMG20220724190753.jpg

IMG20220712192904.jpg
Obviously it`s gonna cost... just received ANOTHER set of these...
IMG20220727162555.jpg
ANOTHER set of Decals on the way!!.... If this attempt don`t work out,then it WILL do in the bin!!:tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy:
BTW,this time,i`m going to do the Invasion Stripes!!:thumb2:.....

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
That's a real shame thought I was gonna keep scrolling and see 'TA DAA' job done!! 10 outta 10 for perseverance, fingers crossed you nail it this time.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Andy
A massive round of applause from me for sticking with the build. Nothing is ever truly lost. A second crack at the paintwork is always worth trying. Just put the varnish issue down as a lesson learned and move on. Great stuff Andy
Paul

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Good for you Andy. S**t happens. It's how you deal with it that matters.
You're not the first to have varnish problems and you definitely won't be the last.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Blimey, this one‘s fighting back isn’t it Andy. The matt issue could be down to humidity. It gets reported on gaming figure forums quite often, and is usually put down to humidity and varnishing outside. Not sure myself?
Glad you are persevering with the build though. Keep at it, it will all come right in the end :thumb2:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Shame about that andy it was looking fine . Top marks for persevering and giving it another go , cheers tony

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Andy,
Don't know what happened to the matt coat, but kudos for not giving up on what was a cracking build.
Cheers Scottie,(Dawg!!).... me neither mate.... but i will NOT be defeated!! :hugging-face:
That's a real shame thought I was gonna keep scrolling and see 'TA DAA' job done!! 10 outta 10 for perseverance, fingers crossed you nail it this time.
Thanks Mark.... unfortunately not:disappointed2:..... Thanks for that..... I certainly hope so!!
Hi Andy
A massive round of applause from me for sticking with the build. Nothing is ever truly lost. A second crack at the paintwork is always worth trying. Just put the varnish issue down as a lesson learned and move on. Great stuff Andy
Paul
Hi Paul,Thanks very much:hungry:...... Yes,the varnish thing is quite a mystery to me.... it was a brand new can,so i`m reluctant to use it again after this!!
Good for you Andy. S**t happens. It's how you deal with it that matters.
You're not the first to have varnish problems and you definitely won't be the last.
Cheers Jim,.... it certainly does...... and usually to ME!!:tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy:
Blimey, this one‘s fighting back isn’t it Andy. The matt issue could be down to humidity. It gets reported on gaming figure forums quite often, and is usually put down to humidity and varnishing outside. Not sure myself?
Glad you are persevering with the build though. Keep at it, it will all come right in the end :thumb2:
Hi Tim,I`m not sure it`s all down to humidity/Temp either TBH:thinking:,Thanks for the encouragement ......I`ll get there....eventually!!
Shame about that andy it was looking fine . Top marks for persevering and giving it another go , cheers tony
Thanks very much Tony,i was pleased how it was turning out,HOWEVER,i`m determined to make this second effort a big improvement,(That is BEFORE it went Pete Tong of course!!:tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy: ).

OK Then Guys.... Update....
2nd set 0f Camo masks applied and the Dark Green sprayed,(This time i`ve used the Tamiya "Dark Green",as apposed to the Humbrol version that i used 1st time round... if you remember,i was never happy that it was "Dark" enough).
I `ll leave it a few hours yet,and get some progress pics up once the masks are removed:thumb2: ,
Thanks to ALL for the moral support.... it always helps,but in this particular case..... even more so!!
Cheers for now,
Andy

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Crikey Andy, that's such a shame, (It's one of the reasons I never use Humbrol varnishes, I find them too unstable) ....I'm glad you are not letting her beat you and having a second bash at it. looking forward to seeing how MK 2 turns out..

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Hi Andy
I appreciate it's rather too late to help and you used a rattle can of Humbrol varnish but I thought this might be of interest. In the latest issue (142) of Airfix Model World.
View attachment 459874
Hi Jim....
Never too late in the day for useful information Sir ;)
Thanks very much for posting that up,it may help others too :smiling3:
Reading this,I can only assume that,rather than being a temperature or humidity problem,I must have applied it too thickly..... surprising really as I'm always VERY careful to avoid that!
Thanks again,most appreciated :smiling3:

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Crikey Andy, that's such a shame, (It's one of the reasons I never use Humbrol varnishes, I find them too unstable) ....I'm glad you are not letting her beat you and having a second bash at it. looking forward to seeing how MK 2 turns out..
Cheers Chris...
Yep,I must admit that this experience has put me off using it again in future :sad:
"Smiffy Spit MK2" just HAS to come out better.... Or  has it !! ;) :smiling3:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Cheers Chris...
Yep,I must admit that this experience has put me off using it again in future :sad:
"Smiffy Spit MK2" just HAS to come out better.... Or  has it !! ;) :smiling3:
Yes it has! Perseverance is it’s own reward!
Never used Humbrol spray cans, but Humbrol matt cote is excellent when brushed. Very similar in consistency and smell to Daler Rowney soluble matt varnish. I used it for ages on the little blokes. Never tried spraying it though. I’ve found Tamiya and Mr Color matt varnishes airbrush well.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Oh Andy I feel your pain.
I have just been catching up over the last 2 - 3 pages. I was saddened to see the decals fail you the way that they did.
Deep joy seeing you pick it up and carry on was short lived upon seeing the matt varnish mis-hap. Man you are being tested!
Did you say Fork it and toss it out the window. Nope you took a deep breath and started again.
Sir, I applaud you!

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Yes it has! Perseverance is it’s own reward!
Never used Humbrol spray cans, but Humbrol matt cote is excellent when brushed. Very similar in consistency and smell to Daler Rowney soluble matt varnish. I used it for ages on the little blokes. Never tried spraying it though. I’ve found Tamiya and Mr Color matt varnishes airbrush well.
I certainly hope so Tim!! ....... I`ve spent a considerable amount of time,and hard earned,on this now!!:dizzy:
Oh Andy I feel your pain.
I have just been catching up over the last 2 - 3 pages. I was saddened to see the decals fail you the way that they did.
Deep joy seeing you pick it up and carry on was short lived upon seeing the matt varnish mis-hap. Man you are being tested!
Did you say Fork it and toss it out the window. Nope you took a deep breath and started again.
Sir, I applaud you!
Thanks very much Ian!! .... Although,i have to admit,it came VERY close to going "Out of the window"!!;) .....
HOWEVER ,if there`s one thing i ain`t... it`s a quitter!! :thumb2:
Hats off to you mate for not giving in. Such a fun relaxing hobby
Cheers Mick,much appreciated...... a " Relaxing Hobby".. ?!!:rolling:.... Well,yeah,usually.... but not for us armour guys attempting flying fings!!:dizzy: