Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
All looking good John :smiling3:.
Thanks Ralph.
John,
Chair pulled up.
Welcome Paul, make your self comfortable it may take a while.
as usual you never cease to amaze... wonderful work... can't wait to see the factory
Thanks Greg.
Not going to be very big, and side ways on, It will be interesting to see how I hold up the root sections. I haven't a clue yet.:flushed::upside::nerd:.
Dude 2,

Done lost your mind again, huh!!!...……...Looks a great start!!!
Dude 1, we start these things off and they grow, gone is the heap of debris to drive up, not fat better a wall to go through !!.

Tried the new glue , as the photos showed, well it doesn't work well at all on plastic strip, now it could be that not all the ends are square. I've put a new blade in the " chopper " as it tends to cut slightly at an angle on thicker sections. Got to see if it's the way I push down the handle, maybe it twists, but at the price it was I hope not .
More tomorrow.
Thanks for commenting.
John .

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I've put a new blade in the " chopper " as it tends to cut slightly at an angle on thicker sections. Got to see if it's the way I push down the handle, maybe it twists, but at the price it was I hope not .
More tomorrow.
Thanks for commenting.
John .
John, I've used the chopper at work for years. With thick square section try only cutting half way (or less) through and rotating the plastic so you cut it 4 times. That way at least all the cut lines will be in the same place on each face. You might get a slight pyramid but its easier to trim. On thick material the chopper blade will always want to bend off in one direction or another. You will also find that with the stress of cutting thicker material in one go it's easy to push the stop out of place,so if you're making multiple pieces there is a risk of them being different sizes!
good luck
N

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
John, I've used the chopper at work for years. With thick square section try only cutting half way (or less) through and rotating the plastic so you cut it 4 times. That way at least all the cut lines will be in the same place on each face. You might get a slight pyramid but its easier to trim. On thick material the chopper blade will always want to bend off in one direction or another. You will also find that with the stress of cutting thicker material in one go it's easy to push the stop out of place,so if you're making multiple pieces there is a risk of them being different sizes!
good luck
N
Thanks Neil,good idea, can I ask what you glue the strip with, I normally have used Tamiya Extra Thin , but this time I used my new Deluxe version.
Thanks John .

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Thanks Neil,good idea, can I ask what you glue the strip with, I normally have used Tamiya Extra Thin , but this time I used my new Deluxe version.
Thanks John .
I use dichloromethane, which is just the generic name, and would probably be the same as Tamiya Extra thin. I can't imagine how they would make it deluxe,though......

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
D

Deleted member 6559

Hi John

I use Deluxe Perfect Plastic Putty. Deluxe is simply a brand name, though it is good stuff, and not expensive.

You're turning into the site's chief product tester!

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi John

I use Deluxe Perfect Plastic Putty. Deluxe is simply a brand name, though it is good stuff, and not expensive.

Hi Peter, yes you and I know of these things, love the putty, think Neil and Peter thought id found a new TAMIYA !
went for this because it gives a longer grab time , and its made here in the UK

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Today was spend cutting plastic strip and gluing up the large factor lights
IMG_20190715_211512581.jpg

ok its not the straightest but no worries the building is going to be quite knocked about. Those upright sections are only .5 mm square.and very fiddly to work with, the minute you touch the plastic with the glue they stick to the brush.

John.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
John,
This will be well worth the effort.
Thanks Paul, nearly drove me completely mad trying to hold the plastic strip, even had those metal blocks out. The good thing about using the chopping board is that ca and the plastic glue don't work with it .

D

Deleted member 7181

The good thing about using the chopping board is that ca and the plastic glue don't work with it .
That's a great idea. I'm already using PE or HDPE lids from paint containers at work to decant small amounts of glue onto for toothpick application, it just peels off when dry, but using it as a base for scratch building or assembling small parts will save me gluing them to my table!

Time to raid the kitchen cupboards I think...

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
That's a great idea. I'm already using PE or HDPE lids from paint containers at work to decant small amounts of glue onto for toothpick application, it just peels off when dry, but using it as a base for scratch building or assembling small parts will save me gluing them to my table!

Time to raid the kitchen cupboards I think...
Andy .
I take no responsibility for any injuries you receive whilst trying to explain why you have glued the chopping board to your work surface. Management can take a dim view of such uses of household equipment. :smiling:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Afternoon from sunny Lincs.
Small update ,been busy making the upper section walls, making the rear 2 mm wider to take the frames.
Still need a slight trim here and there.
Small vertical glazing bars in order.

15634597007258448619425914090351.jpg
See the feet have managed to make a guest appearance 15634597385188032572572403143296.jpg15634599368938748282490448865827.jpg

The rebated section just gives a better fixing .
Thanks for looking in .
John.

Last edited:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi John, I was feeling an aura of happiness in the air when I dropped in...diorama time is it? Must be a relief from the Fruil tracks and figures. :smiling: The chopper has been busy I see...I'm keeping my fingers to myself.

good luck
N

Neil, I found that out after buying my chopper from recent Aussie trip and went back to cutting by hand and blade. I'll try your method and see if I had not wasted my money.

Hi John

We have it here too Peter and the putty is good...no shrinkage. I have the making waves and will try that on one of my dios.

Back to John...progress looking good. Have looked in from the back but not commented...lots coming from the rabble and those sitting at the front. Avoiding the biscuit fight...not as messy as cake.

Cheers,
Richard

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi John, I was feeling an aura of happiness in the air when I dropped in...diorama time is it? Must be a relief from the Fruil tracks and figures. :smiling: The chopper has been busy I see...I'm keeping my fingers to myself.

Neil, I found that out after buying my chopper from recent Aussie trip and went back to cutting by hand and blade. I'll try your method and see if I had not wasted my money.

We have it here too Peter and the putty is good...no shrinkage. I have the making waves and will try that on one of my dios.

Back to John...progress looking good. Have looked in from the back but not commented...lots coming from the rabble and those sitting at the front. Avoiding the biscuit fight...not as messy as cake.

Cheers,
Richard
Thanks Richard, taking Neil's tip I've started to do that, takes longer but so much better join.
Spend the last 2 he's doing brick marks .Going to stop now and can't focus anymore:tongue-out3:
15634730510198650759250059278764.jpg15634730878695526513150451463451.jpg15634731089187740285485459623378.jpg

Back tomorrow on this , rest of the night off .
John