Tim’s Trumpeter KV-7 in 1/35

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I see no way you could insert any type of rubber into or onto the KV series cast steel road wheels.
I didn’t remember the whole story, and thereby misrepresented it :sad: As far as I can determine quickly, it was the early wheels that were constructed like I described:

MnF0ioH.png

Резиновое кольцо means “rubber ring”.

But those are not what’s in Tim’s kit. The wheels in that are entirely steel, yes.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi both. I think most of the wheels in mine are actually like that, original early wheels. Only the first set are all steel, probably to guard against fracture for the weight of the three barrels and the casemate.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
I didn’t remember the whole story, and thereby misrepresented it :sad: As far as I can determine quickly, it was the early wheels that were constructed like I described:

MnF0ioH.png

Резиновое кольцо means “rubber ring”.

But those are not what’s in Tim’s kit. The wheels in that are entirely steel, yes.

Thanks Jakko, It does seem a bit strange and I didn't think they had the idea/technology for it. I can see these being used on the 1939-40 versions, but would think as the war broke out and progressed, all steel was the way to go and preserve raw materials such as rubber. My Su-152 kit has all steel wheels too. Thanks again for the info....

Prost
Allen

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Not an original idea, though using more modern materials Allen. UK pre first war railway passenger coaches used “Mansell” wheels. They were steel rims on wooden centers. The wood inserts were supposed to give resilience and reduce rail hammer being transmitted to the occupants. This design seems to do something similar.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Here is an drawing of them Allen….

Attachments

• EFF8B4C3-D245-4A33-97FE-A0AFACC7D10C.jpeg
    EFF8B4C3-D245-4A33-97FE-A0AFACC7D10C.jpeg
    100.2 KB · Views: 8

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I think most of the wheels in mine are actually like that, original early wheels.
The wheel I posted the cross-section of, is this type:

7441_rd.jpg

(Pictures of model parts are easier to find than of the real thing, for some reason.) It also existed without the lightening holes around the rim. The ones on your model appear to be this type:

7441_rd.jpg

Those, like Allen said, are entirely steel, no rubber involved.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Makes more sense now. I obviously misread the CSA, but that picture shows how they would be assembled. The newer one piece wheels must be much easier and faster to make, and possibly even lighter.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Wow Guys,

It's always good to learn something new and thanks for that. I'm really not a Bumskie Rooskie tank builder, but it's nice to see how they did things too. One would never imagine there was rubber inside of the early ones either. Cool........

Prost
Allen

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Have to say you put my KV to shame, some really top rate work there Tim.
Not that top John, the paint job is pretty poor if you look too closely, I didn’t dilute the paint enough and got an orange peel finish. Happy with the tracks though.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
It looks good from where I’m sitting :smiling3: Nothing wrong with the paint, going by the photos — we’re always our own worst critics, I suppose.
Look closer Jakko…..that textured finish isn’t the armoured plate, it’s poorly applied paint :sad-face: