USS Constipation 1/120 scale Imai long suffering build

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Which means I will have a gap between the stanchion arms and gunwhales?

Cheers,
Richard
Have a look at your reference picture on page three again Richard. I’m struggling to explain it clearly in words :loudly-crying: I think the gunwales may be a bit skinny to do this though.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Have a look at your reference picture on page three again Richard. I’m struggling to explain it clearly in words :loudly-crying: I think the gunwales may be a bit skinny to do this though.
Or my stanchions too wide :tears-of-joy: ...not going to be too accurate so will wrap under as well but will still file a groove for the stanchion bottom to fit flush as they sit too proud. On the Surprise they look tied to the inside of the stanchions.

Cheers,
Richard

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Just looked through this for the first time Richard, looking extremely good, liking all the extra work going into in too. Keep up the great work.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Here is a different view Richard. Netting outside, but a definite gap between net and gunwale….and two different heights depending upon location…..
3D76E445-66AC-4155-8D25-D5093D898369.jpeg
Starting to wonder if some of this is just to stop modern visitors falling over the side to be honest LOL….

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Richard

Great persistence and some fine detail. The only minor detail is that the stanchions in the photos are much narrower than yours so the outside of the netting is approximately flush with the sides of the gunwales. If I were you I were you I would lower the stanchions as you have suggested and run the netting round the bottom of the stanchions to connect with the gunwales.

John

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Here is a different view Richard. Netting outside, but a definite gap between net and gunwale….and two different heights depending upon location…..
View attachment 445041
Starting to wonder if some of this is just to stop modern visitors falling over the side to be honest LOL….
Tim, I thought the same at first as looking at the netting they are horizontal and not diamond in shape as the British ones on Surprize and other Constitution models built. Even the gun covers are black when the Imai instructions call for red on the insides. The Imai kit lines are also different. So going with artistic license and covering the bottom.
Thanks for highlighting though.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Richard

Great persistence and some fine detail. The only minor detail is that the stanchions in the photos are much narrower than yours so the outside of the netting is approximately flush with the sides of the gunwales. If I were you I were you I would lower the stanchions as you have suggested and run the netting round the bottom of the stanchions to connect with the gunwales.

John
Thanks John. Yup, am going with that and hope it looks better. Also lowering the stanchions will scale it down a little. Much easier to install the mesh that way too with two halves. Actually once I add the hammocks you can't see the bottom. ;)

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Okay the stanchions are dug down and mesh CAd down. I've thread the wire rope through and will be making more. Thanks Jim for the suggestion.
To prevent anything falling through and be supported I think the netting should be on the supported side and not on the weaker outside. Some builds show it this way but am stumped why the restored Constitution netting is tied that way...perhaps Americans just want to do it differently. There are lesser points to tie too.
20220209_154447.jpg

No gaps underneath...definitely overscaled but works for me. Looks like I'm not going for accuracy but busy detail.
20220209_154455.jpg

Starting to like building this again and noticed I have installed the side stays for the rigging. I thought I lost one of those in the flood but apparently not.

Cheers,
Richard

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Very nice job Richard. I suspect that the restored version is not 100% original since it is designed for the public to climb around on not for sea action. I see you have fitted the Channels for the shrouds you might just check that the shrouds when installed do not foul the top of the hammock netting, as they go up to the tops. If you do run into a problem then you could just bend the outer stanchions inwards a little. This would be accurate since on the original the stanchions do follow what is called the "Tumblehome" or the inward slope of the hull.

John

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Very nice job Richard. I suspect that the restored version is not 100% original since it is designed for the public to climb around on not for sea action. I see you have fitted the Channels for the shrouds you might just check that the shrouds when installed do not foul the top of the hammock netting, as they go up to the tops. If you do run into a problem then you could just bend the outer stanchions inwards a little. This would be accurate since on the original the stanchions do follow what is called the "Tumblehome" or the inward slope of the hull.

John
Yes John, I was aware of that looking at it from an angle. Good thing it's all made from metal so bendable. But the "Tumblehome" is new to me. Thanks for that. I like the inward slope of old ship hulls. Even the old WW1 battlewagons had them.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
You've made a great job of that netting Richard.

All these many years the stachions and mesh have been my stumbling block and have been hesitant to work on it. This was before internet days but with references and images of other builds plus you guys encouragement, its been a pleasant build so far.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Todays progress that I did at the LHS, usual building with other modelers...basically talking cock(our way of saying spinning yarns) more than building if you know what I mean.
20220212_182153.jpg

One section done. Still need to apply CA to link the rope to the mesh.
20220212_182217.jpg20220212_182244.jpg

The mesh here are just placed before adding CA to hold them down.
20220212_182313.jpg

The gluing is taking longer than making the stanchions and nerve wrecking as certain points glued tend to pop if not held properly.
Very repetitive process. After this is masking and painting but that will take a while to get to I'm afraid.

Cheers,
Richard