USS Constipation 1/120 scale Imai long suffering build

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
While in between gluing the hammock nets down I scratched some missing parts...this got broken so I carved out two thick plastic strips and sandwich them and filed them down to this shape.

20220216_170711.jpg
Then using plastic rod, I replaced the missing portion of the top of the mizzen masts that would be painted brown when done.
20220216_170754.jpg
It will need something like this scratched to take the top crosstree.
20220216_170817.jpg
I also attached this on the front and will be painting the intricate raised design detail with white.
20220216_171147.jpg
This will keep me busy tonight.

Cheers,
Richard

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Richard

I am enjoying this build and the skill that you are demonstrating. Nice save on the stern davit. Just a question, your mizzen mast looks like it is made up of one long pole whereas it normally consisted of at least two and probably three separate masts joined at each of the cross trees. Am I just missing something?

John

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Richard
You're definitely making progress. Good luck painting that front bit - a nice steady hand.
Jim
Thanks Jim, hands not as steady but use my fingers to steer the brush. I will be doing a few passes and touch up with a black wash.

Richard

I am enjoying this build and the skill that you are demonstrating. Nice save on the stern davit. Just a question, your mizzen mast looks like it is made up of one long pole whereas it normally consisted of at least two and probably three separate masts joined at each of the cross trees. Am I just missing something?

John
Thanks John, it's made up as you mentioned by a few poles. The section that was missing lucky for me the instruction sheet had photos so it was just a continuation from that crisscross thingy to the top which held the final crosstree and sail. There are two forward sails above the main mizzen mast sail. Very tall ship this.

Nice fixes Richard.
Thanks Ian.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Here John is a pics of the mizzen mast.

20220217_140124.jpg
The white section just before the top is what I replaced. Should have a slight taper but I left it as that. Will paint it brown to match the little sliver at the top after scratching the crosstree bracing.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
While waiting for my HP to charge up before going to bed I painted the large gun cradles of the main gun deck. Although they slot into their individual compartments there is a bit of the cradle seen. The cradles on the main deck aren't the same color as on the top deck and are lighter brown.
20220218_021832.jpg
Doing this is like assembling tank tracks...I don't envy the guys doing HMS Victory. :smiling6:

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Richard
That's already a nice finish on those cannon.
Jim
Thanks Jim, I went a little further by adding gunmetal blue after finding a bottle of Vallejo.
20220219_162910.jpg
The ones on the left are blued...
20220219_162926.jpg
The one on the gun deck is more apparent. I don't know if blueing the guns were a technique already used at that time.
20220219_163139.jpg
Cheers,
Richard

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Very nice looking guns Richard. Are you going to fully rig those that are visible?

John

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Very nice looking guns Richard. Are you going to fully rig those that are visible?

John
Thanks John, I will definitely try. I have some references and for each gun there is quite an amount of attachments with rope for recoil and another to pull and reposition the gun. Probably wing it. Some of the carronades trolleys are bolted to swivel mounts to the gunwhale and don't have as much ropes.

Cheers,
Richard

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I just added the ropes to run out the guns on most of my models. They are fiddly to attach but look convincing when done.

John

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I just added the ropes to run out the guns on most of my models. They are fiddly to attach but look convincing when done.

John
Any pictures that can help for reference John? I like stuff that is just enough to be convincing.

Cheers,
Richard.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Richard

These are of a very dusty HMS Unicorn I built some years ago. You can see how the rigging runs through two blocks, is fastened to the hull and the loose end is coiled down on the deck.

View attachment 446349

View attachment 446350

View attachment 446351

Hope that helps.

John
Thats a mighty fine looking ship John and the reference is helpful, thank you. The kit provides blocks but are large for the ships rigging so I might need to scratch one and cast others from there.
Guns have just been fitted below...
20220220_002816.jpg
20220220_002840.jpg

Cheers,
Richard