Queen Boudicca of the Iceni

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
I hope theres plenty of things to do on this yet paul , i'm loving watching it ,plus its a fantastic reference for those of us who arent very good at figures. I feel like I've really learnt some great techniques from watching the build , although putting them into practice might be another thing!! Keep the updates coming mate its a pleasure watching ! cheers tony

P

Paul P

Cheers Tony, give it a go, ive been sculpting for a few years, but I learn all the time with every thing.

Started on the second horse, this is the basic shape as before

A few changes to the legs , the front left leg was moved back a bit and the rear right leg was moved back slightly and then bent in a relaxed position

I then decided to turn the head slightly

As you can see all the joints were filled and then sanded

I have also been thinking about the base, l had to start it soon as some of this will have to be put together in situ, so going through my timber pile I found a nice piece of Bur Oak. This was shaped and I routered a moulding on the top and then polished it

I have also been thinking about the scenery so I had a go at a tree stump, this is made from sculpey putty which has become my new best friend, its brilliant stuff and goes hard in the oven.

Moving back to the idle git that's the driver, ive finally added his arms and started painting them

still a bit more painting to do on this and I noticed a bit of damage to his helmet so ill have to sort that

And this is Dobbins mane, tail and fur harness

always think the horses look strange without the ears

So quite a bit done and still plenty to do

Paul

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice work Paul as usual. The driver is looking more work like. Less pub visiting more driving please :smiling3:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've just caught up with this again. It's an enjoyment to watch and most enlightening too. Fantastic work going on as ever, I speak as someone who can just about make a passable sand bag out of Milliput.....I know my limitations :smiling3:

Thanks again for allowing us to look in on it.

Cheers

Steve

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
I speak as someone who can just about make a passable sand bag out of Milliput.....I know my limitations :smiling3: Steve
I'm still at the snakes and sausages stage!

Gern

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That mane and mank is lovely. Just as the rest of the alterations.

Good stuff!

Ian M

P

Paul P

Cheers Joe, at least hes not armless now

Many thanks Polux

Cheers Steve, as I have said before mate, practice, practice, practice, even with sandbags ;)

Dave nowt wrong with snakes and sausages

Thanks Ian plenty more to come

Paul

M

mobear

that mane looks like something from an eighties glam rock band all swishy but fantastic non the less really enlightening how you proceed through the different stages and how you address them

mobear

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Every time I pop in this just gets better and better Paul, you're a clever thing...go on have another chocy biccie, you deserve it.

Si:smiling3:

H

Harry Labanville

Horsesome work yet again.

When you take it all in you can see how team Body were so successful in getting from Norfolk to Colchester to Londoniumiumiumium and then on to St Albans.

If large numbers of them had chariots as depicted and riders on horses they could get about very quickly indeed .

Im no expert but I guess a horse at trot could go for some time before it needed a rest.

I mean could a horse do 100 miles or more in a day?

So you would have had 1000,s all coming down the A12 thumping the remnants of the Romans as they went.

It must have been similar to the hordes of motorcyclist who take to the roads on Bank Holidays.

And in reality someone must have ridden by horse or in relay to the Anglesey area of Wales to tell the Roman Army who were there to get a move on and get moving back down the A5 because its all kicking off down south.

And although the Romans had cavalry the rest were on foot and they move as one so that must have taken some time to get to Mancetter.

Which gave Team Body plenty of time to wreak havoc. Little did they know what was coming their way.

I still maintain there is a mass grave of 80,000 near Mancetter yet to be discovered.

Last edited:
P

Paul P

Many thanks Mobear

Cheers Si

Harry I would think it would take a really well conditioned horse to do 100 miles in a day, im no expert on horses but I would think something like 40 miles is a good distance and probably less hauling a chariot as well. It was in fact the great numbers of her army which led to her downfall at Watling st, and your probably right there must be a grave somewhere.

C

CDW

\ said:
I mean could a horse do 100 miles or more in a day?
If it were pushed hard, with just a rider then possibly, horse and carriage/trap/cart would push it to do 30 - 40 miles.

Also the horse drawn stuff would be travelling at the same rate as the footmen so would be limited.

The only time the horse drawn stuff comes into its own is when charging in the battle field.

P

Paul P

Hi all just a quick update to say that ive had to put Boudicca on hold as we are moving house at the end of the month, I already have the important things ready in the new house i.e. the desk in the cave is set up, shelves go up tomorrow, the tinternet is sorted, as is Sky tv, so apart from everything else im ready to go, should have another painting update in the first week of Feb

all for now keep modelling

Paul

First Name
Mike
First time I've seen this thread; incredible craftsmanship and skill Paul

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Must be the year for it. Is there anyone on here who has not moved house in the past year??? All the best for the move Paul, looking forward to more Boudicca in due course :smiling3:

Z

Ziper_it

Good luck with your new house (hope this is correct).

Will Budicca come with you or she moves with her chariot?

Francesco

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I was wondering what you where upto.

AS for the moving, It must be a virus. every ones at it.

See you soon Paul. On here that is...

Ian M

P

Paul P

cheers guys, Boudicca is all packed away ready to go, I have another sculpt that I have been working on, its nearly done so ill post some pics soon

Paul