Andrew's 1/72 Tamiya Mosquito Mk XIII

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Evening Andrew.........just caught up to this after its disappearance, I simply lost track of it.......anyway good to see it's back on the go and you have made tremendous progress since I last visited....over a month ago. Keep it coming pard, she's looking down right sassy! :thumb2:

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Nice progress Andrew, the mottling looks great, that's the next job on my F16. I've watched quite a few online builds where they use this, and the results look really good.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Andrew that's looking very good, don't know how you do the mottling, but it looks good .

Thanks John glad you like it.

Not sure if you mean you don't know what the process is or if you don't know how I manage to do it. If it's the former, have a look at the below video from about 7 minutes...if the latter, apologies for teaching you to suck the proverbial egg!;):smiling5:

I basically just do lots of fine squiggly lines with a 0.2mm AB. You can actually vary it quite a bit in terms of how tight the squiggles are, how much you lay down and so what mottling effect you achieve.

This is one of the vids I watched at the time, not saying it's the best but at least it's pretty clear.

Looks very good with the mottling as JR says. At his age he needs to worry about “Clotting” lol.

Thanks Lee!! Are you saying John is old...??? ;) I'll leave you to answer that question......:smiling5:

Nice :thumb2:

That’s a good base for the top coat Andrew.

Geoff.

Thanks Geoff, I'm quite pleased with it too.

Evening Andrew.........just caught up to this after its disappearance, I simply lost track of it.......anyway good to see it's back on the go and you have made tremendous progress since I last visited....over a month ago. Keep it coming pard, she's looking down right sassy! :thumb2:

Has it been that long Rick??!?!?!? She's looking quite good isn't she! Not that I'm biased of course!!

Nice progress Andrew, the mottling looks great, that's the next job on my F16. I've watched quite a few online builds where they use this, and the results look really good.

Hi Mick

Thanks for the continued support and yes it really is a brilliant technique, extremely effective for such a simple process. It was our own @BarryW that put me onto it a couple of years ago and even with my first attempt it turned out really well. This will be my fourth go at using it.

Looking forward to seeing the F16 come along!

Thanks again all.

Andrew

Last edited:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looks excellent andrew , all it needs is some balkenkreuz and it could pass for a Luftwaffe night fighter scheme ! Its going to give the top coat a great effect , cheers tony

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Andrew, no I had no idea how to achieve that finish. Not much call for it in Russian armour :smiling3:The video was good .

Lee's quite right about that subject , hopefully I won't have any !

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Looks excellent andrew , all it needs is some balkenkreuz and it could pass for a Luftwaffe night fighter scheme ! Its going to giv

Tony

Thanks for the support. As for the night fighter scheme I'd never thought of that! Happily because of this 'Hunters and Hunted theme I have 5 twin engined nachtjager in the stash! I'm sure one will fit the bill!!

Coming along very nicely indeed Andrew.

Ian

Thanks very much for the support. Glad you're liking it.

Andrew, no I had no idea how to achieve that finish. Not much call for it in Russian armour :smiling3:The video was good .

Lee's quite right about that subject , hopefully I won't have any !

Hi John

Glad you found it informative. I tried it on a tank once but at 1/72 it was too small and dark.

Thanks again all.

ATB

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi all

So I obviously want to preserve the mottling base coat for both the Medium Sea Grey and the Dark Green. Previously I would have done a full base coat of MSG and then the Dark Green over that but that loses the mottling.

However, I don't yet trust my AB skills to do it freehand at this scale and so used the below technique to create my own masks. I did this using online versions of the instruction's patterns, which I've done once before, with me masking out the Dark Green so I could do the MSG first.***

The only problem I have is that none of the five Tamiya MSG/DK camo patterns match Lonesome Polecat's. Plus the only full on shot of LP is from the port side, with no clear top shot....only hints from other shots...and there is no shot at all of the starboard side.

Therefore, I started with the mostly closely matching Tamiya offering and then adjusted it using those hints from other shots, the Hyperscale build I've been using for references and most helpfully the starboard shot of Mossie HK415. It was on the same squadron at the same time and its lines appear a likely match for LP. For most of the wings though, I had to stick with what the closest Tamiya match had.

The masks over the nose/cockpit and for the centre of the fuselage took a bit of finessing due to the curves but the rest worked out fine.

I also deliberately cut the masks slightly narrower than in real life so I can hopefully achieve a feather edge that the Dark Green will also overlap.

ACW as usual.

ATB

Andrew

*** The German splinter camo, with all the straight lines, is soooooo much easier than the British patterns.....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Take a screen shot of the instructions camo pattern and put it into Microsoft Visio drawing/design programme. Then size it to the correct length using a line that matches the length of the kit.

Print it out and then adjust the pattern accordingly.

Get an A4 acetate sheet and trace out the line with a thin permanent marker. I then lay masking tape over the top and trace out the pattern again on the tape. I then transfer the tape to the cutting mat....stupidly forgot to take a photo of this stage in the process. DOH!!

The aftermath of cutting the Dark Green masks out.

The Dark Green masks in place.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Had a good catch up with this Andrew,
A very interesting read it is too :thumb2: ,that`s some process you went through,and it`s evidently given a great result.
Gotta say,i love the mottling you`ve already achieved........ a shame to cover any of it up!!:tears-of-joy:
Great stuff,keep it up!!:tongue-out:

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Looking good Andrew.

Thanks Tim!

Had a good catch up with this Andrew,
A very interesting read it is too :thumb2: ,that`s some process you went through,and it`s evidently given a great result.
Gotta say,i love the mottling you`ve already achieved........ a shame to cover any of it up!!:tears-of-joy:
Great stuff,keep it up!!:tongue-out:

Thanks Andy. I'm please with how the masks turned out and it was actually a pretty simple and strangely therapeutic! As for the mottling, I know what you mean but Tony's reference to German night fighter camo has given me a really good idea!

Very Niiiiice!

Thanks Rick!!! Much appreciated!!

Thanks as always chaps!

ATB

Andrew

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Great stuff Andrew, thanks for explaining the process too :thumb2:

It’s tricky modelling an actual aircraft when there are limited photos. I think your approach is a good way to do it.

Geoff.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Very careful, skilled and thoughtful work. Mottled base is good. I agree that when a multicoloured top coat is used the second colour can so easily wreck the mottling. Your solution is first rate. It takes time but I'll bet the end result is worth it.
Are the masks made from multiple strips of tape or did you use a sheet of masking?
Really interesting stuff Andrew.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Great stuff Andrew, thanks for explaining the process too :thumb2:

It’s tricky modelling an actual aircraft when there are limited photos. I think your approach is a good way to do it.

Geoff.

Thanks Geoff and you're welcome for the explanation. Hopefully it helps someone. It is a shame I couldn't find more full shots of the aircraft.....that said, short of someone having the full range of pics, no one can actually say it's wrong! ;)

Very careful, skilled and thoughtful work. Mottled base is good. I agree that when a multicoloured top coat is used the second colour can so easily wreck the mottling. Your solution is first rate. It takes time but I'll bet the end result is worth it.
Are the masks made from multiple strips of tape or did you use a sheet of masking?
Really interesting stuff Andrew.

Jim

"Very careful, skilled and thoughtful work"....."Really interesting stuff Andrew.".....coming from someone of your ability I'll take that as a real compliment!! As for taking the time I agree, although it actually took about 90 minutes in total and a large chunk of that was getting the nose and mask of the middle right.

The masking was just some strips of tape. It did make it trickier to cut in a a few places and I also had to think about the order I lifted it off on. I think a full sheet would have made it tricky but I do need to invest in some slightly wider DIY tape.

Thanks again chaps!

ATB

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi all

So, the big reveal......the underside saw Medium Sea Grey last night, with the topside getting the same treatment this morning.............and then I pulled the topside masks off this afternoon.

All in all I'm very pleased with it, although I didn't quite get the feather edge I was looking for. It'll be a couple of days before I get to have a crack at the Dark Green but that will give the MSG plenty of time to dry.

As an aside I've given the port stabiliser on the tailplane a slightly more solid coat that the rest of the plane. It was damaged by flak in Feb '45 and so I can pretend the plane is from sometime after that and so the stabiliser has obviously had a fresh coat of paint.

ACW as usual.

ATB

Andrew

Prior to the aforementioned repair

MSG down!!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking very good Andrew. The underpaint has given a lot of interest to the top coat. Hope the green turns out as well.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Looking very good Andrew. The underpaint has given a lot of interest to the top coat. Hope the green turns out as well.

Thanks very much indeed Tim.

I've pretty pleased with how it's turned out all in all. I'm planning to use some of that magic putty to mask of the grey for the green camo patterns - start with thin sausages for the edges and then fill in the gaps with lumps - but knowing how it flows if left too long I'll have to be fairly quick.

Thanks again.

ATB.

Andrew

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Thanks very much indeed Tim.

I've pretty pleased with how it's turned out all in all. I'm planning to use some of that magic putty to mask of the grey for the green camo patterns - start with thin sausages for the edges and then fill in the gaps with lumps - but knowing how it flows if left too long I'll have to be fairly quick.

Thanks again.

ATB.

Andrew
Put it on quite thin Andrew. It doesn’t flow so much then. Shouldn’t be much of an issue on a 1/72 bird anyway……not so much to cover.