Ozdell's 1/87 scale Ro, Ro ship Coroan Sea build

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
It’s 1/35 scale. They look like some form of APC(Armoured Personnel Carrier) not too sure of the make though.
Martin
Thanks Martin, seen those kits in the toy shop 1/35 scale. Tony

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Thanks Chris will head over to chit chat, layout wont be scrapped, I have being busy today pulling up track and points on two modules today, got three more, the one I be working on next, I be swapping the control panel connection bracket, making this module too heavy, have another one that has lighter construction.

How are you and Jenny going, take care Tony
OK Tony will wait to see what you come up with an we are ok but when are we gonna see some more done on the ROROas im waitin to see your ramps builts an fitted so I can see how you are gonna work them
ARB STAY SAFE
chris an jen

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
OK Tony will wait to see what you come up with an we are ok but when are we gonna see some more done on the ROROas im waitin to see your ramps builts an fitted so I can see how you are gonna work them
ARB STAY SAFE
chris an jen

Hi Chris, no work on the ramps , I am working on the last section hull build, will cut out a couple of bulkheads tomorrow night , the next bulkhead be the start of the top deck, off to bed we had a couple of very heavy rain shows earlier tonight,, dropping down to 3 degrees Tuesday, probably hit zero here ouch. Hope the air-con is sorted out, leaking where it shouldn't be won't run it till it is checked.

My wife had day surgery on Saturday getting out it, might send you an email .

Take care , how is summer in the UK ??

Tony

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
!/87 HO scale. ROCO/Herpa/ArsenalM all sell Abrams. Evilbay is usually best source for cheap ones although I've noticed some sales from Fidelis, Smallscale Hobbies, Walthers & Reynaulds. Usually around $10 to $12. Trident has all the Marine LAV varients. Those stretch 113s don't look like US issue. I'll do some research. PaulE

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Australian APC. M113 stretched to six bogies w/everything inside changed. Funky rear overhanging rack is for crapintheback. Clueless on wierd frame in front of it. PaulE

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
AN Tony just a after thought I hope you have an upright bench drill because with out one you will not be able to drill the holes for the hull joint as these holes have to be very presise or the bolts wont line up with the holes in the hull joint
chris

Hi Chris , I don't have a bench drill press now, only have a battery drill and I don't think you can lock the trigger in place like you can an electric drill will have a look.

Tony

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Try using Tapered Guide Pins or Tab & Slot to align, use fasteners to fasten. PaulE

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
!/87 HO scale. ROCO/Herpa/ArsenalM all sell Abrams. Evilbay is usually best source for cheap ones although I've noticed some sales from Fidelis, Smallscale Hobbies, Walthers & Reynaulds. Usually around $10 to $12. Trident has all the Marine LAV varients. Those stretch 113s don't look like US issue. I'll do some research. PaulE

Thanks Paul will check those shops out, not in a hurry , will see how much birthday money I get tomorrow, the problem it will cost double if I buy from Europe England and the US, will check out the hobby shops over here first., how I love to get hold of Marine LAV's they are pretty huge . Tony

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
Last night I decided to join up the forth hull section with the stern section, , should of checked with the square when I glues in place the end bulkhead stern section , easy fix fill will cardboard a bit of a gap , won't notice when glues together with the side panelling.

Wont be able to jointhe two sections together till all the bulkheads are in place or wait till I have finished the detailing of the stern section

20200625_222626.jpg20200625_222645.jpg20200625_222719.jpg20200625_222743.jpg

Pretty happy that the keel has lined up well will be strengthening the keel with 18 mm square dowel, more progress pics tomorrow night will cut and glue in place the other end of the other end of forth hull section and them join up the other two hull section , be impressive nideed.

Tony from very cold down under

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
I found a mistake with the first two bulkheads of the forth hull section was out of square, the only way to fix is was cut off the first bulkhead ,was a big job but now out the way and now is square indeed, lesson learnt .

20200705_212924.jpg

Tony from cold down under

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Tony well it looks like its comin on as now i think i understand what part of the ship im lookin at an it the stern isnt it an the red peg area is for the trains an the blue peg area is for lorrys an such am i right tony an i think the tall bits at the back are your ramps ? an yes Tony you must build sqaure or things wont line up then then the probs start i use plastic 45 degree set sqaures to aline any parts that i build on my tiger
chris

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
HI Tony well it looks like its comin on as now i think i understand what part of the ship im lookin at an it the stern isnt it an the red peg area is for the trains an the blue peg area is for lorrys an such am i right tony an i think the tall bits at the back are your ramps ? an yes Tony you must build sqaure or things wont line up then then the probs start i use plastic 45 degree set sqaures to aline any parts that i build on my tiger
chris

Not correct, no trains but the ship does transport then on a cassette large steel specially built pallet like in the first pic, I will be scratching them, the tricky part be the tractor
Hitch,another scratch building project never ends, can buy those port tractors the hitch doesn't raise.

DSC_0614.jpg

90920819_610832389506390_7521883921789747200_n.jpg

The next two pics is of the start case what I am working on, go back to last post pics of the bulkhead I replaced is what I am modelling , the single ramp is access from main deck to upper deck and second ramp up to top deck, no star case up to top deck access stairs to top deck on the port side .

I hope to cut out two bulk heads for the other side of the forth hull section so I can join up all 4 hull sections., I watched a new series on our Melbourne hospital Emergency.

Mightn't be able to do anything to the layout tomorrow rain coming in will wait till Friday or Saturday, tomorrow I be buying a sheet of 12 mm play an get it cut to size, for the sixth corner module, those pegs was just to hold the two sections together.

Take care Tony.

tor_corona_2007_inr_011.jpg

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
Finely all the four hull sections are joined up , not quite completing the hull , wow she is going to be stunning when finished and painted in those colours,have to search for
letters of the side of the ship TRANNSEFICA, not a bad name and the smaller Corona Sea at the stern .

She is 2.160 metres in length with a 305 beam and about 14 inches high from water line, 1/87 scale , next set of bulkheads will be he two closet to the stern so I can cut the side panels to join up from upper deck to the top deck as in the last two pics of my build and the real ship, got my layout canal based on this canal ., my canal is 11 feet wide.

20200712_133635.jpg20200712_133708.jpg20200712_133731.jpgDSC01431.jpg

After I finish the hull I will move to the bridge of the ship and finish it, a lot of work ahead with all the detail inside.

Tony from cool down under

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
It's quite small though....? No, I mean BLOODY MASSIVE!
Will you need to get the bulders in to build an extension?
T

Hi martintheweb, no Martin , she is in four section and once finished be in two half's, I plan to build a shelf that will have legs for the ship to sit in my hobby room..
More progress pics tomorrow night, two more bulkheads be glued in place.

Take care Tony

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
Only two more bulkheads to go, after all the bulkheads glued in place I found an easy way to on how, I decided to glue the side panels in first, wow it worked , I am not sure if I will rebuild the bow, will have a go at fixing it, the starboard side didn't turn out so well .

It is great the main construction is coming to an end after starting planning 2015, will count up haw many bulkheads I glued in place, with one sheet of cardboard can get two bulkheads, I still have to glue on the double side hull panels, then the model will look like Corona Sea .
20200819_230759.jpg

First pic the two side panels in place

20200820_221200.jpg

Last pic the bulkhead in place, I wish I started on the RC version so much work, then I had the issue what to use and cutting out the bulkheads out of ply .

She will still make a stunning model out of card even though it is a water line model, I could use fibre glass on the second hull.

Very happy indeed , Tony from down under

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Only two more bulkheads to go, after all the bulkheads glued in place I found an easy way to on how, I decided to glue the side panels in first, wow it worked , I am not sure if I will rebuild the bow, will have a go at fixing it, the starboard side didn't turn out so well .

It is great the main construction is coming to an end after starting planning 2015, will count up haw many bulkheads I glued in place, with one sheet of cardboard can get two bulkheads, I still have to glue on the double side hull panels, then the model will look like Corona Sea .
View attachment 396091

First pic the two side panels in place

View attachment 396092

Last pic the bulkhead in place, I wish I started on the RC version so much work, then I had the issue what to use and cutting out the bulkheads out of ply .

She will still make a stunning model out of card even though it is a water line model, I could use fibre glass on the second hull.

Very happy indeed , Tony from down under
HI TONY if you do build a R/C vershion of your ship if i was you use 1/32 nd ply as if its to thick a ply the hull will be very heavy to lift when yourve built it
an your work on the water line model is lookin good an comin on
all best
chris

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
Hi Chris, how thick is 1/32nd ply 2 mm, I was thinking 3mm thick ply for the bulkheads, a lot of work cutting out with a jig saw, then cut in for side framing.

Many thanks, no work on the Corona Sea tonight, getting late only cut out one bulkhead, want to do the two in one hit .

Today I made up the first northern end point mock up to see how the points will go, quite happy, very windy hear , worse in the afternoon didn't go outside, this morning before the wind started up< I sprayed the grass where the gravel be going, ordering the gravel Tuesday.

How is the Tiger going.

We could be in lock down in Ipswich have 6 new cares linked to a youth centre here, if it gets worse we wont be going any where, a club meeting on Tuesday I am not going and have to miss out in my mums birthday dinner Monday, too risky going and giving it to her she is 87 .

Take care Tony

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Had a good read through Tony, some cracking work with no doubt hrs and hrs of research. Very kind of the Master of the vessel to be so helpful.