Zvezda SU - 100 1/35 SCALE & BM truck

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
An epic base taking shape there John. Great stuff.
Thanks Peter. Wanted to have some night, will be even more when the pines are on top !.
John,
Chair pulled up I have no doubt this will be another great scene.
Thanks Paul, if the trees come out as good as yours I'll be happy .
Evening John, just been having a catch up

Any reason why the mantlet cover is stood up?

There are a couple of ejector pin marks on the inside of it

Base is off to a good start - what’s the foam?

Tree trunks look good
Ah, well Simon, the drivers hatch hits the side of it, so to get the hatch open to have the driver taking the ammo through the cover had to be up. It had hinges on the moulding so assume it must be able to lift. Made some PE hinges to show it open .
Oh those ejector pin marks, I filled them once ! Used that ******* Vallejo ,:poop:! bit of snow on there and no one will see :nerd:
The foam is a polyurethane rigid foam. I kept all the off cuts, now it's coming in handy .:smiling: .
Yes they have come out well .
Evening John,
off to a good start with the base :thumb2:
Thanks Si, sowed those fern seeds this morning, won't know now for 3 odd weeks !
Hi John

Nice geomorphology, and the arboreculture looks great.

John
Thanks John, had to look the first one up though :smiling: Intend to have a stone face with the pines growing on the top and up one side.
John.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Hi John - I find VJ filler is not very good as filler apart from on fine sanding scratches where you can wipe it in with a finger tip
It is good for stippling on with a cut down brush to create a rougher surface texture though

Ah, the drivers hatch - you have it opened right up. All pictures I've seen they only open to around 30deg above horizontal so don't clash with the mantlet cover - bit of artistic licence ;)

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi John - I find VJ filler is not very good as filler apart from on fine sanding scratches where you can wipe it in with a finger tip
It is good for stippling on with a cut down brush to create a rougher surface texture though

Ah, the drivers hatch - you have it opened right up. All pictures I've seen they only open to around 30deg above horizontal so don't clash with the mantlet cover - bit of artistic licence ;)
Yes it was needed Simon,:smiling: don't suppose they loaded through the front hatch anyway? That filler is a complete waste of money, shan't fall for that one again. Better off using toothpaste !

Today saw the start of the base with the application of Sculptamold. Now I don't know if the addition of PVA makes any difference, but I always add it to any plaster type mix, just to give it a bit of a bite I added it here as well .

2020.jpg
Please note the attempt to keep the new cutting mat clean .

2020_2.jpg

Full tube of Sculpt bit of water , then a dollop of PVA. I then mix in more water depending on how thick I want it to be. It needs to be wet enough to spread easily, yet still retain the structure.

2020_3.jpg
Worked this in with a plaster knife and a small pallet knife, creating folds and lines in the "rock " face.

2020_4.jpg

another view . closer up of the left hand base of the rocks.
2020_5.jpg

2020_6.jpg

Having given the dowels a light sanding I then applied a wash coat to them and a few real branch off cuts, the remainder of the washes I painted on to the still damp Sculpt.

2020_7.jpg

2020_8.jpg

Of course more painting is required but as there will be a snow fall as well thought this was a good staring point.

Thanks for looking in, comments welcome.
John.

D

Deleted member 7237

Hi John great start on the base looks very good.
By the way who's bench are you using can't be yours it's too tidy :tears-of-joy:.
Pete.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi John great start on the base looks very good.
By the way who's bench are you using can't be yours it's too tidy :tears-of-joy:.
Pete.
Pete , I'm making a real effort to be excepted into the TBC, even if It's only for short while .:smiling3: so will try anything to get points !

John,
The base is taking shape nicely.
Thanks Paul, had a great time yesterday by the way :smiling2::smiling2: always good to meet up.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
very nice John,for a messy job your keeped it so neat,turned out so well,nice going :smiling:

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Pete , I'm making a real effort to be excepted into the TBC, even if It's only for short while .:smiling3: so will try anything to get points !

Thanks Paul, had a great time yesterday by the way :smiling2::smiling2: always good to meet up.
Yes mate it was great to catch up again.

First Name
Andy
Nice rock face John, I would have climbed that in my younger days. ;)

Andy.

• Haha
Reactions: JR

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Just had a catch up JR. You have been a very busy boy. Tons of progress since I last dropped by, keep it going sir.
Rick H.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
You have been busy! Looks a great base for the models to go on. Looking forward to seeing how you tackle all the vegetation

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Impressive base and painting John! :thumb2:
Steven

D

Deleted member 6559

That base is looking great John - You've inspired me....

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
That base is really looking good and I totally agree that have height is a bonus. Looking forward to the trees.
Jim

Last edited:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
very nice John,for a messy job your keeped it so neat,turned out so well,nice going :smiling:
Thank you Monica, however if you'd see the floor and my pullover you might think again .:smiling3::surprised:.

Nice rock face John, I would have climbed that in my younger days. ;)

Andy.
Cheers Andy, plenty of hand holes !

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Just had a catch up JR. You have been a very busy boy. Tons of progress since I last dropped by, keep it going sir.
Rick H.
Cheers buddy, so much to keep me busy, what with the trees and figures now in full production.
Looking good :thumb2:
Thanks Simon.

You have been busy! Looks a great base for the models to go on. Looking forward to seeing how you tackle all the vegetation
Thanks Steve, made a start on the trunks they are painted and looking ok .

That base is looking great John - You've inspired me....
Wow, that's good , should we expect something from you soon then :smiling2:

Hi John
That base is reaklly looking good and I totally agree that have height is a bonus. Looking forward to the trees.
Jim
Thanks Jim. I never gone for hight on landscape dio before, but to get every thing in and seen hight might be the answer. We will see .:smiling2:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Still recovery from the news that Mr T hinge's were not in fact working I went into the cave to do some painting.

This time it was the ammo boxes, quick coat of yellow Primer, followed by brush coats of some green apparently call Russian 4 BO:nerd:

Also attacked a couple of the figures hands by cutting them off and re positioned and re-gluing. When re gluing the arms on I filled the gaps with Squadron Green. Whats the best thing to thin it with please ?as it look a bit gritty.

The boxes, internals done with Vallejo New wood.

2020_4.jpg

2020_5.jpg

Sprayed the top encloser timbers on the sprue .

2020_3.jpg

Selection of hands.

2020.jpg

The Squadron Green in on the right inner shoulder, so any hints for that will be helpful.

John.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
John,
I use Tamyia extra thin to thin out and brush over the joint to smooth it.

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Sorry for my lateness John, just scanned the whole business and I must say you are really doing this one up!
Will be chiming in more often for sure.

Keep up the good work! :thumb2:

Jim