Scotties big Zundapp

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Love it!.... Don't forget to safety wire those clevis nuts or they'll back off and throw your linkage out of adjustment. :tongue-out3: :tongue-out2: ;) :thumb2:
Rick,
I hoped you wouldn't notice ;)
From looking at a few photos, the rear lever seems to be on the differential, and IIRC, it’s to lock the differential so power always goes to both rear wheels.

Incidentally, never build a BMW R 75 or Zündapp KS 750 as a solo machine without a sidecar as if they were also used that way (both Tamiya and Italeri released 1:35 scale sets like that in the 70s). These bikes were designed from the ground up to have the sidecar, and if the sidecar is removed, the differential lock is too weak for prolonged use. With the lock disengaged, you won’t be going anywhere, of course: all power will go to the free end of the differential, and the bike’s rear wheel then doesn’t turn at all. Enterprising people (after the war) built a plate to stick to the outside of the differential so the bike could be ridden without a sidecar and without destroying the lock, though.
Jakko,
Thanks, that makes perfect sense having a diff lock.
This is fabulous Scottie! Incidentally, what do you use to cut the brass rod/tube whilst not mashing the end?

Nick
Nick,
Thank you mate. I have a razor saw which I use one the tube. For wire I have some side cutters and nail clippers for finer gauges.
Great build love all this detail work, can‘t wait but will for the final pictures.
Simon, glad you like it mate. You will have to wait a while yet still lots to do.
Really skilled scratch work there Scottie. It's getting very difficult to decide if the photos are reference or your build.
You will really have to treat yourself to some new tweezers :smiling:
Jim,
You are to kind mate. I should give them a clean but I just use these for painting.
Superb detail here Scottie. What worries me is that I could see you doing this if it was 1/35 ;)
Tim,
If I ever do attempt it please phone matron.
More fantastic scratchery Scottie
Thanks Mick, good to see you sticking with it.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Gear selector linkages are done. To make sure everything lines up when fitted they work. well at least they do at the moment a bit of paint. They still need a final clean up but I think they look better than the over thick miss aligned and basic kit offerings.

DSCF3642.JPG

DSCF3643.JPG

DSCF3644.JPG

cheers
Scottie

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Damn, he's at it again folks..........That linkage looks real Bro!!! I really think you are having too much fun here and your scratchy work just gets better and better Paul..............

Knit one, Perl two. Knit one, Perl two. Knit one, Perl two..........Stupid scarf...........

Prost
Allen

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
By 'eck Scottie you have the engine firing up next.

Brilliant stuff.
Jim, just waiting for the spark plugs mate ;)
Damn, he's at it again folks..........That linkage looks real Bro!!! I really think you are having too much fun here and your scratchy work just gets better and better Paul..............

Knit one, Perl two. Knit one, Perl two. Knit one, Perl two..........Stupid scarf...........

Prost
Allen
Cheers Allen I just wanted to see if I could do it.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Took a while to get up to date with the build but certainly not disappointed Scottie!

your awesome upgrades have lifted the kit really nicely…carry on my good man :smiling4:

Reactions: JR

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Stunning work Paul. I’m half expecting this Zundapp to kick start into life when you’ve finished! Awesome work on the linkages and all the detailing thus far. But do you know what this stunningly detailed bike and sidecar is missing?… A 1/9th Harrison Ford and Sean Connery!
All the best with the rest of the build, this will be special!
Cheers, P

Last edited:

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Took a while to get up to date with the build but certainly not disappointed Scottie!

your awesome upgrades have lifted the kit really nicely…carry on my good man :smiling4:
Si, not to worry, it's a hard to keep up with all the fine modelling on here.
Stunning work Paul. I’m half expecting this Zundapp to kick start into life when you’ve finished! Awesome work on the linkages and all the detailing thus far. But do you know what this stunningly detailed bike and sidecar is missing?… A 1/9th Harrison Ford and Sean Connery!
All the best with the rest of the build, this will be special!
Cheers, P
Cheers Paul, ha ha now that would be interesting.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
A couple of progress pics. It is looking like a bike now. I notice from the pictures that I have some clean up to do on the linkages but they still move.

DSCF3645.JPG
DSCF3646.JPG

DSCF3647.JPG

DSCF3648.JPG

I need to check my references as to the correct colour of the levers as to being a metal finish or painted body colour.

cheers
Scottie

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
All the very skilled scratching and improving details has really paid off.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Nice progress Scottie :thumb2:
Details look amazing
Thanks Steven, glad you like my efforts.
All the very skilled scratching and improving details has really paid off.
Jim, thank you fella I hope they will make a difference. It would be nice to see a new tooled version of this. I think it would sell well.
Really nice scottie, love what you've done with this kit inspiration indeed..
simon
Simon, very kind of you to say.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
A quick update. All the major assemblies are now built. They received a coat of the base colour and a highlighting coat which was the base colour with a few drops of white added. They all then had a coat of clear gloss, ready for weathering. I'm hoping the techniques I use I normally use will transfer to this larger scale. You will be please to know I didn't take any photos, but will post some tomorrow.

cheers
Scottie

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Looks great Paul, Nice to see all those beautifully scratched parts in their place.