Some where on the Eastern Front 1942 /43 1/35 scale

D

Deleted member 6559

Superb bit of joinery there John - you're obviously in your element doing this sort of thing. Wished I had the skill and patience.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Jim, thanks, yes thought the casting texture was really top rate

Undeterred by the heat and with the fan on full I decided to do something to the build .
Glued the plastic sections on.
View attachment 351374
View attachment 351375
Then decided to spray.
I wanted to get that bluish Green like in the drawing , well not quite what I really want but once the washable white is on it might look better .
View attachment 351378

View attachment 351376

View attachment 351376View attachment 351379
John .

Hi John, haven't seen this kind of lighting in UK much. At least the contrast isn't too heavy. Here we need something to diffuse strong sunlight.

Good idea on the jig to keep the supports in shape. Keep your gardenings in the mornings or evenings when its a lot cooler.

Cheers,
Richard

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Very nice work on the jig. We will have to start considering you as an honorary member of the rivet club.
Thanks Steve, Oooh honorary member of the famous Rivet Club, is there any rolled up trousers legs or any other strange custom to learn ?:smiling2::smiling2::smiling2:

Superb bit of joinery there John - you're obviously in your element doing this sort of thing. Wished I had the skill and patience.
Very kind of you to say Peter. I'm enjoying this part. Oh by the way I had a mad turn and bought two MiniArt kits. :flushed::flushed::flushed::flushed:

Hi John
All looking really good. The builder in you is on a roll.
Jim
Hi Jim. Maybe I should give up plastic modelling and build dolls houses, or just buildings:nerd:

Hi John, haven't seen this kind of lighting in UK much. At least the contrast isn't too heavy. Here we need something to diffuse strong sunlight.

Good idea on the jig to keep the supports in shape. Keep your gardenings in the mornings or evenings when its a lot cooler.

Cheers,
Richard
Hi Richard, yes I went gardening today for the morning, 3 hrs mowing lawns is as much as I want. Mid day is only for those that enjoy being ill .

Thanks Guys..
John.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Made another section of roof frame
IMG_20190730_211510004.jpg
Started to colour the wraparound sides and back, not happy with the out come.
Now in recycling bin.
Going to have a rethink, the problem us holding up the roof frame with out having to a background and supporting walls.
Any ideas welcome please
John .

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
John, I'm unclear on your issue. The one wall, well anchored to the base & the remaining roofing material well anchored to it should be sufficient support for the light weight trusses. Some metal rods up through the foam board if it fails should do the trick or am I missing something. PaulE

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
John, I'm unclear on your issue. The one wall, well anchored to the base & the remaining roofing material well anchored to it should be sufficient support for the light weight trusses. Some metal rods up through the foam board if it fails should do the trick or am I missing something. PaulE
Hi Paul, I had made a three sided car board frame, it had some more card board stuck at the same hight as the wall . This was to support the roofing frame.
The idea had been to paint a background on to the board , but because of the angle of the foam wall made it very awkward to draw any thing in perspective.
Your suggestion of steel rods I might use , but substituting plastic instead .Thank you for replying .
John .

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
453. Top work!

How about making just a few vertical columns at the rear, with connecting horizontal beams to take the trusses?

Then fill the gaps in between with partial brickwork, loads of rubble and broken timbers etc. - Then think about a painted, finishing off background.

D

Deleted member 6559

Unable to advise on the issues John (completely over my head I'm afraid), but that roof frame is looking superb.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi John,

I like you framing jig....looks to work nicely too:smiling4:
Thank Si, I removed the frame from the jig this afternoon, perfect. Of course the glue doesn't stick to the ply .

453. Top work!

How about making just a few vertical columns at the rear, with connecting horizontal beams to take the trusses?

Then fill the gaps in between with partial brickwork, loads of rubble and broken timbers etc. - Then think about a painted, finishing off background.

Yes 570, that's what I think will have to be.

Unable to advise on the issues John (completely over my head I'm afraid), but that roof frame is looking superb.
Thanks Peter, the only problem is the angle of the wall in relation to the left hand side. Maybe should have made it parallel to the wall.

Had to have a clear up and a put things away afternoon, yes I know Jim will be pleased, even Management was shocked at the announcement.
Not completely tidy, but cleared loads of old papers, drawings, and made a list of all the stash !

John .

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
The bench is still a mess, work in progress I call it. :nerd:Management thinks otherwise and said it's still a mess :cold-sweat:.
Other than that the missing Evergreen sections were sent again by the supplier, so one with those windows.
Shame so much of it is going to be smashed.:sad:IMG_20190801_170922435.jpg

Quite a lot not square but not worried nothing will be soon !:flushed::tongue-out3::tongue-out2:
Thanks for looking in

John .

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
John,
hats off looks good must have taken ages. Now all you have to do is cut 200 window pains :tongue-out3:
Thanks Paul, looks even rougher tonight than it did after I had finished them. !!!!
As for the " glass " well If I do any it will have to be in sheet form, covering 1/ 6 th of the frame at a go. The problem with attempting to glue those .5 sections is they tend to melt if you get too much glue on them. Several broke in two and had to be refixed.
Suppose I should paint first thing tomorrow then sort out the glass. If I do paint then it will be both sides, but will have to remove some paint for the contact glue at the back.
Hopefully more tomorrow .

John .

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Just spraying , 2nd coat drying outside. Plastic sheet for the glass being slightly awkward, but a dose of ot water and some weights are hopefully sorting that out.
What to do next, clean up the bench !!!

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Greeting from the Stalingrad Building Co.

Major repairs will be called for at the end of hostilities.
This is where I have got too
Glazing done. Not quite separate pieces Paul but enough cutting.

Will need to have some minor touching up, just around the brick work where I had to scribe the frames in.
Other than that chuffed that it went ok .

IMG_20190802_181816339.jpg

IMG_20190802_181701974.jpg

IMG_20190802_181714904.jpg
IMG_20190802_181721163.jpg

IMG_20190802_181734727.jpg

Comments, including abuse from the Rabble welcome .
John

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
I can see you're having a smashing time. Windows look really excellent.

Had to have a clear up and a put things away afternoon, yes I know Jim will be pleased, even Management was shocked at the announcement.
Not completely tidy, but cleared loads of old papers, drawings, and made a list of all the stash !
May not be perfect but we at the TBC welcome all attempts at bench tidiness.
Jim